I saw ‘Revenge of the Sith” twice in theater in 2005. There were definitely parts that I thought were pretty cool, and I remember liking it, but I still never bothered to watch it again on DVD. It’s certainly a better movie than “Attack of the Clones,” but “Revenge of the Sith” is far from perfect. It lacks some of the fun of the original trilogy. It’s darker, but maybe it needs to be since it is about a man turning evil and all that.
Once again, here are my random thoughts while revisiting “Revenge of the Sith” this time around.
- I still feel that we are told over and over that Anakin Skywalker is a powerful jedi – maybe the most powerful jedi ever – but we’re not shown that he is a more powerful jedi than Obi-Wan Kenobi. Obi-Wan Kenobi kicks some serious ass in this movie. He seems more powerful than Anakin to me.
- Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan is still dreamy. I’d totally hit that if only Jedis were allowed to love.
- General Grievous has a nasty cough. Don’t they have Robitussin in a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?
- “You are so beautiful.” “That’s only because I’m so in love with you.” “No, it’s because I’m so in love you.” Ugh. George Lucas is a terrible writer. “No. You’re the schmoopy.” “No, you’re the schmoopy!”
- Just like the other prequels, the dialogue is awkward and delivered flat by the actors. Yoda is the most animated, and that’s probably because he’s animated. You know you’re a shitty director when you make Samuel L. Jackson boring.
- Beauty tip: The Dark Side makes you ugly.
- Anakin going into the Jedi Temple and slaughtering all the jedi is a really gruesome scene, especially the killing of little kids. That’s some serious Dark Side shit right there. I am thankful that George Lucas cutaway and doesn’t actually show Anakin killing little kids. It’s bad enough that we have to see their little dead bodies later in the film. For once, Lucas made a good directing decision.
- Watching the murders of the jedi, including the children, is terribly sad. It’s probably the most emotional sequence in all of the prequels. I feel like the prequels are so cold and hold us at arms length, but this sequence made me the feel something, and that something is sadness that all the jedi are dead and anger directed at Anakin.
- The final fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan gets a little too video gamey. However, Ewan McGregor is such a great actor he really sells the emotion behind the fight. Hayden Christensen, not so much. I would say it’s fucked up that Obi-Wan just left Anakin there to burn alive, but yeah, fuck that guy, he killed those young kids. I’d leave him there to burn alive, too.
- Padme was fine, medically, but she lost the will to live. She’s died of a broken heart, you guys.
- And, of course, there is this, which is pretty much the worst thing ever.
I remember laughing out loud during this scene while watching in the movie theater. It is not supposed to be funny. It’s supposed to be a very serious scene. Anakin has found out the love of his life is dead, and now he is Darth Vader and turned to the Dark Side for nothing. Wah wah. If George Lucas had just ended that scene right after the full-on Darth Vader reveal, instead of with the Noooooooooo! it would have been much better ending.
Up next: One of my all-time favorite movies, “Star Wars.”