Yeah, so, I’m not going to lie … I really wish Bernie Sanders had sat this one out. I’m super, SUPER liberal, but I wasn’t impressed in 2016, and I’m not impressed now. I would have preferred he endorsed someone else and acted as the elder statesman (He’s 77 years old, my friends!) of the progressive movement that he is.
But I’m not writing this to shit all over Bernie Sanders. And I’m not writing this to shit all over Bernie supporters. (Although he has a very vocal group in his supporters, the Bernie Bros, who are real assholes.) Some of my best friends are Bernie fans. Seriously. I’m not just saying that in the way that racists try to pretend they’re not racist by pointing to their one African American friend. During the 2016 election we talked about our political differences like this:
My friend: “I’m going to vote for Bernie.”
Me: “Cool. I’m voting for Hillary.”
I’m writing this because things are already getting shitty on social media, and I think it’s important that we stick together! We need to do the right thing in 2020, my friends.
Bernie is not my candidate. I’m more of a Kamala Harris girl, or maybe Beto if he announces. That said, if Bernie wins the Democratic nomination, I will vote for him. I will vote for whomever the Democrat candidate is because that candidate will answer “no” to all my deciding questions.
- Do you plan to separate parents and children at the border and keep children in cages?
- Do you base policy decisions on “Fox & Friends” segments?
- Do you require 5 hours of “executive time?”
- Do you think some Nazis are “very fine people?”
- Do you think abortion should be illegal in every case?
- Do you think that journalists are the enemy of the people?
- Do you want to take away people’s health care?
- Do you want to give tax cuts to millionaires and make the lower and middle class pay for it?
- Do think vaccines cause autism?
- Will you embarrass this country on the world stage by acting like an entitled child?
- Are you a sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot?
If the Democratic candidate answers “no” to all of these questions, truthfully, then they get my vote. I mean, Predator Trump could answer “no” to all of these questions, but we’d know he was lying, so seriously, fuck that guy.
So, yeah, come on, my friends: Let’s have a positive, energizing democratic primary and may the best woman win.